Auth0 builds the best Customer Identity and Access Management (CIAM) solution on the planet. Hands down. Created for developers so they can focus on their innovative application ideas, for their own domains. Optimized for end users to minimize friction. And designed with security to keep applications, users, and organizations safe. Auth0 customers come in all sizes and shapes with many counting among the most recognized brands around the world. By using Auth0, customers increase security and reduce friction so they can grow revenues faster and become more efficient. If you have strong desires to see the results of your work used by name brand customers and millions of users around the world, then Auth0 is the place where your dreams can be turned into reality.
The Identity and Access Management (IAM) product team at Auth0 creates and delivers the cutting edge identity solutions used by all our customers. This includes authentication with Universal Login, end user self service flows, federations, risk detection and response, cryptographic services, session management, protocols, pipeline, directory services, authorization, and more. As a member of the team, you will interact with the best and brightest identity product managers in the industry as well as with Auth0 architects, engineers, the field team, product marketing, and customers to identify opportunities and prioritize work streams that will create the identity solutions of the future
We are looking for a Director, Product Design to join our growing global Product Design team. Reporting to our Sr. Director of Design, this role will be a core member of our Design and Product Leadership teams. You will lead a Design team and ensure it can execute effectively. Coach managers from distributed teams. Make decisions thinking of 1-2 year horizons. Ensure the Design team is developing an effective relationship between Product and Engineering to ensure smooth communication between teams and to ship high-quality products.
You will join a distributed and diverse Design team. You will be part of a team that includes Product, Design, and Engineering counterparts and will have a direct impact throughout the product development lifecycle. These teams will actively help our customers adapt complex APIs and data providing total control to their security and access needs. We are looking for a Design Leader that is a team player and works closely with engineers and product managers to solve complex problems.
- Develop multi-year pillar design strategy alongside leadership across product, design, and engineering
- Work cross-functionally with Product Managers and Engineering leadership, prioritizing features and improvements, facilitating design discussions, and providing feedback
- As design leader you will conceive, implement and execute a vision for design’s role in building solutions for IAM and provide leadership to deliver best-in-class product experiences
- With this role, we will amplify our impact on the products by creating holistic customer experiences across the product suite
- Uphold and evolve our brand and Design System
- Maintain an extremely high bar for quality and consistency through critiques, UX principles, and reviews
- Coach your team on how to best navigate a rigorous, customer-informed process to identify and prioritize customer problems and rapidly validate solutions
- Be a passionately vocal advocate for the Auth0 Customer through all stages of research, design, development, and go-to-market activities
- Enthusiastically help your team hone their craft of product design
- Encourage the sharing of new techniques and tools, showcase best of breed experiences in the market, and invest in professional development
- Communicate and connect with your peers in UX, Product Management, Engineering, and Marketing in order to share learnings, align priorities, and identify opportunities for improvements to process or people
- Build, lead and inspire a high performing global team of designers and managers who understand the needs of our customers
- Anticipate design trends and propose and build solutions ahead of market
- Clearly articulate where the product design domain is, what it should become and the factors that will help it get there
- Lead short, medium and long-term planning exercises; and communicate outwardly to leadership and team members
- Mentor the product design team in developing an effective Product/Design workflow; work with Engineering leadership to ensure smooth communication between Designers and Engineers to ship products on time and with the functionality to delight customers
- Gain an understanding of our existing products and how customers use them
- Manage a team of designers across a core pillar within product
- Establish strong reporting cadence to amplify and uplift your team
- Iterate on solutions based on direct and indirect stakeholder feedback.
- Partner with Engineering to ensure a high-quality implementation and user experience
- Work together with designers on other product teams to keep work consistent, improve quality, and contribute to our team processes and principles
You might be a good fit for this role if you:
- 12+ years in user experience
- 5+ years as a people manager and have managed other managers
- Worked at a SaaS company, specifically on customer-facing product experiences
- A track record of producing or helping others produce highly usable and visually appealing product experiences
- Worked in a leadership capacity, directly driving UX strategies for people, process, and product
- Integrated customer research and testing into the design process
- Worked with a shared design system serving multiple teams and products
- Successfully combined a strong design process with agile and product management processes
- Experience building highly technical products and is current on the latest product development methodologies and best practices
- Have experience building developer products with a focus on systems and API design
- Have experience with data visualization products
- Can distill complex problems into precise, simple, and delightful solutions
- Have an advanced understanding of UI/UX concepts and an exceptional eye for detail with a portfolio that showcases this understanding.
- Communicate early ideas through flows and low fi sketches to facilitate discussions and get early feedback
- Have great written and verbal communication skills to help people across the company to understand the rationale behind your proposals.
- Product platform (IaaS, PaaS) experience, ideally a developer platform and/or Identity/Security domains
- Experience in both big company and startup or early stage, high growth environments a plus
- Ability to blend strategic and tactical execution skills; drive high-level strategy as well as dive into the weeds and get hands-on when needed; scrappy work ethic
- Ability to develop the methods/systems to plan, communicate and execute product roadmaps across the organization
- Experience building, leading and developing a high performing global team of customer-centric Designers; experience with scaling teams within a remote/distributed team environment
- History of external-facing work, such as conferences, customer advisory boards, partnerships, design community, and thought leadership
- Skilled at presenting in front of customers, assessing design needs and building a complimentary design roadmap
- Strong communicator who cares about people and can effectively build relationships both internally and externally
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum salary of $204,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.