The Technical Solutions department within Auth0 Customer First is responsible for helping to scale the business via an integrated Digital Customer Experience across the Customer lifecycle, including defining the strategy & vision, architecture & technology oversight, technical content, enablement, and building tooling and services.
Directors influence an entire product domain or similar area of the Customer First organization and are respected members of the broader technology industry. They are inherently cross-functional. They are responsible for leading their domain and successfully collaborating across departments in a broader strategy.
As the Director of Technical Solutions (TS) Engineering and Enablement, you will oversee both the TS Architecture and Enablement team and the TS Tooling Engineering team. You will be responsible for coaching and mentoring the leads of those teams to ensure that they have all that they need to keep those teams delivering high-quality results. You will help set the tone of the culture within the teams and ensure that roadblocks are removed, processes are in place, and resources are available for those teams to be effective. You will work with senior leadership to look for cross-team collaboration opportunities and help understand the overall direction that the Technical Solutions department is heading to ensure team alignment.
- Build & lead the Technical Solutions and Enablement organization and ensure it can execute effectively.
- Coach managers from multiple globally distributed teams.
- Make decisions today that affect our vision and strategy for the next 1-2 years.
- Defines a clear, inspiring vision and strategy for their teams, helping prioritize or reprioritize when necessary for the greater organizational wide success.
- Continuously able to interpret company and department-wide strategy and decisions to a clear and concise team level vision, that spans over multiple quarters and years with contribution to planning, hiring and resourcing.
- Expresses ideas starting from justified outcomes, preferably that can be measured and motivates teams to find ways of achieving said outcomes.
- Managers inside the domain have a clear understanding of what a healthy team looks like.
- Is regarded as a leader and pillar of success within the Technical Solutions organization and beyond.
- Is a ‘voice’ of leadership within their teams, acting as an effective conduit of company direction, Technical Solutions prioritization and the ‘why’.
- Able to use their previous experience in engineering and as an engineering manager to ask critical questions about technical solutions that are presented to them, and can help coach their managers to do the same with their teams.
- Manages multiple managers and areas of focus, and offering ongoing coaching and development to make those teams most stable and successful.
- Designs a capable leadership team below them to eliminate the need for day-to-day management.
- Consistently meets hiring plans meeting the expected standards for each role.
- Identifies and trains potential future managers.
- Works cross functionally to sponsor, mentor and connect with partner teams to ensure alignment on Digital Experience across the Customer First org.
- Provides managers with the leadership tools and coaching to drive both the business expectations and leadership effectiveness.
- Effectively drives career conversations and progression within their organization and creates multiple forums for recognition and growth.
- Promotes continued development to complement the existing career ladder and promotion opportunities.
- Drives a strong sense of accountability with all managers to focus on effectively managing teams, staffing for success and becoming a goal oriented organization.
Skills and Abilities
- A person in this role will often have had 5+ years of people management experience and strong knowledge of building systems at scale that have specific reliability and latency requirements.
- A person in this role will also often have had 2+ years of managing other managers.
- Will have had led complex cross team, cross organization, multi-discipline strategic initiatives to success.
- A person in this role is autonomous, can drive the organization to success without requiring course correction for months.
- A thought leader on how both their team and personal scope of work contributes to the vision and execution.
- Able to present these plans to leadership for regular buy-in and check-ins.
Nice to have
- Knowledge in identity or access management
- Experience working with external partners to define integration patterns and build interfaces.
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $204,000/year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.