Auth0 supports importing users from external applications using custom database connections, the Auth0 Management API, or the User Import/Export Extension.
Auth0 supports automatic migration of users from a custom database connection to Auth0. By activating this feature, your users are:
- Moved to Auth0 the first time they log in after you set up the integration.
- Not asked to reset their password as a result of the migration.
- Only Developer, Developer Pro, and Enterprise subscription plans include the database migration feature.
For more information refer to Auth0 pricing plans.
When a user authenticates via a custom database connection marked for import to Auth0, the following process takes place:
- Auth0 authenticates migrated users against the Auth0 database.
- If the user has not been migrated, Auth0 executes your custom login script and, upon successfully log in, adds the user to the Auth0 database.
- Subsequent logins result in the user's credentials retrieved from Auth0, NOT your custom database.
- New users are automatically added to the Auth0 database.
Bulk user imports with the Management API
If you already have a user database, you can use our /post_users_imports Management API endpoint to populate a database connection with this information.
Migrate users with the User Import/Export Extension
The User Import/Export Extension allows you to:
- Bulk import your existing database users into Auth0.
- Search for and export some (or all) of your Auth0 database users.
You can import and export user data using the User Import/Export Extension available on the Extensions section of the Dashboard. Select the User Import / Export extension and install it. For more information, see User Import/Export Extension.