OpenID Connect Scopes
scopesOpenID Connect (OIDC) JSON Web Token (JWT)scopes are used by an application during authentication to authorize access to a user's details, like name and picture. Each scope returns a set of user attributes, which are called claims. The scopes an application should request depend on which user attributes the application needs. Once the user authorizes the requested scopes, the claims are returned in an ID Token and are also available through the /userinfo endpoint.
For example, let's say you have built a regular web application, registered it with Auth0, and have configured it to allow a user to log in using a username and password. Once a user logs in to your app, you want to auto-generate and send a personalized welcome email, including the user's name.
- A user clicks Login within your app.
- Your app redirects the user to the Auth0 Authorization Server (/authorize endpoint), including the following scopes:
openid(required; to indicate that the application intends to use OIDC to verify the user's identity)
profile(so you can personalize the email with the user's name)
- Your Auth0 Authorization Server redirects the user to the login prompt.
- The user authenticates and sees a consent page listing the scopes Auth0 will give to your app, which include access to their profile information and email address.
- The user accepts and authorizes your app to have this level of access to their information stored by Auth0.
- Your app now has access to the user's profile information and email address.
How it works
Standard claims are intended to provide an application with user details, such as name, email, and picture, and are pre-defined for the OIDC protocol. These claims are returned in an ID Token and are also available through the /userinfo endpoint.
The basic (and required) scope for OIDC is
openid, which indicates that an application intends to use the OIDC protocol to verify a user's identity. Beyond that, an application can ask for additional scopes by listing the requested scope names in the
scope parameter, separated by spaces.
Standard claims included in the most commonly-used scopes are listed below, but for a full list of available standard claims, refer to the OIDC specification: Standard Claims. For a full list of Scopes, see OIDC specification: Requesting Claims Using Scope Values.
||(required) Returns the
||Returns claims that represent basic profile information, including
For an example showing how to request standard claims for your application, see Sample Use Cases: Scopes and Claims.