Ensure that you are on current versions of your technology stack. If you're using an older version of a programming language or library consider updating to the current version.
- Check the Auth0 support matrix to see if the language or library versions you're using is supported.
- If there's a problem in one environment (such as development) but not another (such as production), compare the versions of the technology stack across the two environments.
- If not, upgrade your technology stack and browser to the latest versions and test again before creating a support request.
Check the scope of the issue
Testing on different browsers, platforms, locations, and users can help narrow down the source of a problem when it occurs. Perform the following tests and review the logs in your Auth0 dashboard after each test for more information.
See Log Events for more details on each of the log events that can help you troubleshoot issues.
Test with different browsers
- Does the issue happen with all browsers or just some?
- Test in a new incognito or private browser session (no previous state).
- Upgrade to the latest browser version and re-test.
- Turn off browser plugins and re-test to see if a plug-in contributes to the issue.
Test with different users
- Does the issue occur for all users or just some?
- If some, is there a pattern? Such as location, connection, or role?
Test with different connections (if possible)
- Does the issue happen with all connections or just one?
Test with different client applications (if you have more than one)
- Does the issue happen with all clients or just one?
Test across different environments
- Try the development, staging, and production environments of your application(s).
- Try across different Auth0 tenants to see if any differences.
Check if the issue is consistent or intermittent
- If the issue is consistent, note the steps to reliably duplicate the issue.
- If the issue intermittent, note any pattern that might cause it.
- Is this an issue with a new setup, or did it work before and is now broken?
- If it just broke, what changes were made?
- Does undoing the changes fix the issue?
Issues that affect only one or a few users
- Check the user's profile, browser, or device for any issues.
- Check to see if it happens in all browsers for the affected users (indicating a data issue) or just certain types of browsers (indicating a browser-specific issue).
- Check that the caps lock key is disabled.
- If the user is using a mobile device, check to see if there's any software that might impact authentication and/or authorization (such as not running some type of required software).
- Check to see if the user can access some of the application's key URLs, such as the identity provider's Single Sign-on (SSO) URL (indicating a network connectivity issue).
Issues that occur after go-live (worked before, then stopped working)
- Check if any recent changes to your application or any APIs you call?
- Check if any recent network changes (load balancer, firewall, proxy config changes).
- Check if any recent infrastructure changes (e.g. credentials for LDAP or DB servers?)
- Check for any patches or updates to applications, infrastructure, or technology stacks.
- Check that all your servers are running NTP and have accurate time sync
- Check if any of your certificates have expired.
- Check with owners of any remote identity providers if anything changed.
- Check network connectivity to any remote identity providers.
- Check notifications in Auth0 dashboard/migrations - any changes you overlooked?
- Check Auth0 change log - any recent configuration changes related to your issue?
- Check if any component in the technology stack has been updated or patched recently?